Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Waiting and waiting



Here is a picture of my cancer. So, if you ever have a mammogram and there is a bright while spot like this, it's not good news.

Today I'm going to see a Radiation Oncologist. He's going to be another one of my doctors. The purpose of today's visit is to determine if the tumor is too close to the ribcage for the Mammosite. He is one of a handful of doctors in the area that perform that type of treatment. If that doesn't work out then he will do the standard radiation.

Now, getting this appointment was no easy feat. Since I was given my films to hand deliver I assumed there was some urgency. As it turns out the woman who was working on setting up the appointment went home sick Monday after she had first contacted the Oncologist office. Of course they didn't tell me that when I called on Monday afternoon. Then she didn't come in on Tuesday. I found that out when I called Tuesday morning to check on status. So I talked to someone else at the nurses station. I explained the situation, blah, blah, blah. When I hadn't heard back in a few hours (really, how long does it take to make an appointment for someone?) I called again. Well, there was no record of my earlier conversation with someone. So I explained myself again, including the part about having the films, etc. etc. Finally, around 4:30 I got a call back with an appointment time and she asked if I had the films, because they couldn't find them. People don't listen to you. They hear only the part they happen to think is important at the time.
After today, I think I only have one more appointment before surgery on Monday. It's been a real learning experience so far. Not only in breast cancer, but navigating the health care system. And I know I've got a ways to go on that one.

1 comment: