Saturday, May 23, 2009

No more tube!

Yesterday was my last radiation treatment. While I was still on the table Dr. Manning came in and pulled the balloon out. Then he showed it to me. I just realized what it looked like. Some of you may remember the old make your own balloon kits. A small tube, about half the size of drinking straw that you gobbed some stuff on the end. Then you'd slowly blow though the tube to form a balloon.? Pretty low tech, but I remember them as a kid. Well, that's what the device looked like. Then he inflated it to show me the size it had been inside my breast. It just kept getting bigger and bigger!! When he finished it was about the size of a golf ball. I was shocked. I thought it would be much smaller.

So, I'm finished with radiation! Unfortunately my celebration ideas were dashed as I have to wait another 24 hours to shower. To give the incision where the balloon came out time to seal up. And I tried sleeping on my right side, still a little sore.

I didn't realize how exhausted I had become. Last night I slept better than I have for a while. Well, probably since I stopped taking the Percocet. I'm so happy to be done with the treatment portion. Now my body can direct it's energy into healing. It will be nice to get back to normal. I don't hurt, just have discomfort. And of course my energy level isn't quite where it was before, not that I was a real ball of fire before anyway.

It seems weird to be able to say I am now cancer free. I still have several doctor appointments, follow up surgery, follow up radiation and a new one the medical oncologist. But anything at this point is preventative. Modern medicine is such a miracle.

No comments:

Post a Comment