Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Next Step

I have an appointment with a surgeon on Monday, May 4. At that time I'll be able to schedule the surgery. Probably 2-4 weeks later. I'm opting for sooner rather than later.

What I do know at this time is it will be a lumpectomy, followed by radiation. Chemo will be necessary if it has entered a lymph node or is a certain type of cancer, estrogen retaining of a certain size.

The radiation is 5 times a week for 5 weeks. I guess possibly longer. Those of you that have been there will know better than I do. There is a type of radiation called Mammosite. It can only be used if the area removed is small (less than the size of a walnut) and no lymph nodes are involved. This involves a radioactive seed and is done twice a day for 5 days. That's what I'm hoping for.

Here's something I've learned. Sometimes a mastectomy is chosen because the patient can't take time from work for the daily radiation. If you have the mastectomy then radiation isn't needed. The radiation is to kill any strays that possibly weren't removed by the surgery, with a mastectomy, they're gone. Of course, in the case of multiple or large tumors there really isn't an option.

I had hoped to have already had the surgery by now so the healing process would be started, unfortunately getting a diagnosis wasn't cooperating. We have a trip scheduled to Yosemite for the first week of June and I really don't want to have to cancel it. I've been assured I most likely won't have to miss it. Guess we'll find out later.

That about covers everything I know so far.

Thanks so much for all your emails and support. As most of you know, my religious beliefs are not exactly conventional. Let there be no doubt however, I firmly believe in the power of prayer. I also believe God only gives you what you can handle. My prayer is to give me and my family the strength to see this through while remaining upbeat.

2 comments:

  1. Toby,
    This is my biggest fear, although I had not heard the stats on skin cancer. You are sooo lucky your dr. was persistent. I freak every time I get a mammogram & especially when I have to come back.

    I believe that considering the very early diagnosis, it will go away, although it will certainly be interesting to see how the radiation works.

    Of course, I'm understandably shocked & upset, but I know how strong both you & Brownie are & Ben will be a great asset in explaining meds & how they work. I know so many women who've had breast cancer, but I never heard the intimate details before.

    It certainly puts my bitchy life into perspective. I believe in the positive power of prayer, too and you will definitely be at the top of my list.

    Take care & know that a lot of people love you very much. (This is my very first blog experience & it is weird. I'm glad you're doing this, though, so you won't have to go through the repetition of answering the same questions, or just not answering)

    I am very sorry & words seem so meaningless. I love you & can't wait to see you, Brownie & Patsy in Sac in June. You're on the calendar in ink! Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toby,
    Howdy! We are praying for you! I go for my chemo on May 4th so I will be thinking of you while you are meeting with your surgeon. Keep being positive, I will keep my fingers crossed for the "seed". Ken

    ReplyDelete