Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Musing

Everyone keeps telling me what a great attitude I have about this. I have two things to say to that.

One, I've always said I'm too mean to get sick. Obviously, I've softened lately or this damned thing wouldn't have wormed its way into my life.

Two, one in eight women are now diagnosed with Breast Cancer. The older you get, the greater your chances. So if I'm the first woman you know with the diagnosis, get used to it, I likely won't be the last. And here's my experience so far... the people I know who have had breast cancer, my grandma (survivor over 20 years), Mary O'Connor (survivor over 15 years), Laura Craven (survivor over 6 years), Becki Walker(Callahan)'s mom (survivor at least 10 years), Callie O'Conner (new survivor), Ann (my husband's cleaning lady) (finishing treatment). I'm sure I'll hear of more as time progresses. But in my circle EVERYONE is a SURVIVOR. There is no reason I should expect less from myself.

I am very fortunate. My husband has made it possible for me to retire early. I don't have to worry about scheduling doctor appointments or treatments. I don't have to worry about how we will pay for the treatment. If I need him to cancel a golf game to come somewhere with me he will. This removes the stress of having to deal with a disease. He is a good man and I love him for it.

Here's another thing, as my son says, when something happens to our family we just deal with it. That's what we're doing now.

More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment